storey-six classroom school building inaugurated
By LEVIRESA GETIGAN-BARNIZO
September 28, 2016
OQUENDO, Calbayog City
– A three storey-six classroom school building at Oquendo National
High School (ONHS), Oquendo Poblacion, Calbayog City, is inaugurated
Monday, September 26, 2016.
Blessing and turn-over of
this project is graced by various agencies involved in the
implementation including the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)
- Samar First District Engineering Office (SFDEO), Department of
Education (DepEd), Local Government Unit, ONHS faculty, and the senior
high school students – beneficiaries of the project.
Construction of the project
kicked-off October 21, 2015. It is under contract with B. Vicencio
Construction in the amount of P9,830,814.95.
“I challenge the ONHS
faculty and students to take good care of the building; to maintain
and improve the structure, for the betterment of the facility and not
to destroy it,” said Dr. Raul D. Agban, Officer-in-Charge, Schools
Division Superintendent, DepEd. “This building is for us, for the use
of our senior high school students for a better learning. Let us
maintain its beauty,” Agban added.
Mr. Milaner R. Oyo-a,
Principal I, ONHS, humbly accepted Agban’s challenge.“With the help of
my teaching and non-teaching staff, I promise to deliver quality
education to our students,” he said.
Engr. Carlos G. Ranola,
Chief of Construction Section, DPWH SFDEO, officiated the turn-over of
the symbolic key.
Classrooms are utilized by
some 166 senior high students. Prior to the completion of the project,
classes are being held under the mango trees of ONHS.
groups clash seen as labor group rejects “win-win” formula proposed by
gov’t & employers in banning contractualization
By Associated Labor Unions
September 25, 2016
QUEZON CITY – The
country’s biggest labor group rejected the proposed regularization of
contractual workers at the manpower service provider level in the
light of Department of Labor and Employment’s (DOLE) campaign to ban
all forms of contractual work arrangement in the country by next year.
“We reject the proposed
regularization of contractual workers at the level of manpower
agencies or recruitment agencies as proposed by the DTI and the
employers’ group. This proposal do not address the problem of
contractualization brought on the workers and it does not provide
security of tenure to workers as envisioned by the Philippine Labor
Code. We don’t accept such proposition,” said Gerard Seno, executive
vice president of Associated Labor Unions-Trade Union Congress of the
Last week, Trade and
Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez and Presidential Adviser for
Entrepreneurship Joey Concepcion came up with a so-called “win-win”
arrangement with the workers will be hired by the manpower service
providers and agencies as regulars, receiving full benefits including
social security, health and retirement benefits.
Under the proposition,
companies would have the option to directly hire workers as regular
employees or outsource them through manpower recruitment agencies to
perform seasonal work.
The so-called solution was
raised in view of fears by employers on the plan of the Department of
Labor and Employment (DOLE) to regularized all contractual workers
nationwide by 2017.
Under the Lopez and
Concepcion proposition, Seno said workers are still vulnerable to
exploitation and abuse because there is still no employee-employer
relationship between the worker and the principal employer.
“Under the scheme, workers
are denied to fair wages and social protection benefits. At any moment
the contract between manpower recruitment agency contractor is
rescinded, absconded, or terminated by the principal employer, workers
will definitely suffer,” Seno stressed.
Seno said the ALU-TUCP is
rather proposing an amendment to the provisions of the Philippine
Labor Code that totally ban all forms of contractualization and
prohibit all forms of fixed-term employment. Under the proposition,
all workers should become regular employees directly with the company
after the six months probationary period.
For his part, ALU-TUCP
spokesperson Alan Tanjusay said a strong debate between workers and
employers interest groups are inevitable over the policy of DOLE to
regularize all contractual workers upon the instruction of President
“Progressive labor groups
such as ALU are well-prepared to engage employers, businesses and
government to argumentation and debate on the issue. We anticipate a
clash in positioning in the coming days and we are prepared to slug it
out with them,” Tanjusay said.
Sueno: DILG’s new
Assistance to Disadvantaged Municipalities program is pro-poor,
September 23, 2016
QUEZON CITY –
Secretary Ismael “Mike” D. Sueno of the Department of the Interior and
Local Government (DILG) today said that the new Assistance to
Disadvantaged Municipalities (ADM) program of the Department is
‘pro-poor and pro-people.’
Sueno said the ADM is an
improved version of the previous administration’s Bottom-Up Budgeting
(BUB) program, which covered all cities and municipalities in the
country regardless of their level of income.
“With the ADM program, we
are focusing our resources on the local governments that need them
most,” he said.
The DILG Secretary said that
while the concept of BuB is commendable, considering that the people
were empowered to decide and implement the projects that would best
benefit them, there is a need to pour the funds to the poorest local
government units (LGUs).
Sueno assured that DBM and
DILG do not have conflicting views on allocating the budget to the
local communities, and that this would be based first and foremost on
He said that he is in
agreement with DBM Secretary Diokno in that the budget program should
stay equitable and impartial in its coverage, and be pro-poor and
pro-people – as originally envisioned by the late Secretary Jesse M.
Robredo, who first implemented BuB.
“What we will do with the
Assistance to the Disadvantaged Municipalities program, is adapt what
we saw as the positive takeaway from BuB – that is, the pro-poor,
pro-people approach,” he added.
The P2.8 billion
appropriated to the Assistance to the Disadvantaged Municipalities
program will be allocated to municipalities for the use of potable
water and other projects. DBM and DILG will work together in the
allocation of the funds to municipalities based on the number of poor
families in residences, vulnerability to disaster, etc.
It was learned that Eastern
Visayas municipalities will receive a total of about 1.7 Billion pesos
in projects through the DILG ranging from water systems, evacuation
facilities, access roads or small water impounding projects.
“Our first priority in the
Duterte administration is development from the grassroots, from the
poorest barangays and municipalities. We promised that we would make
them our focus, so they will be the target of our budget reforms. We
will stick also to the core of being pro-poor, pro-people – hindi
magbabago ang thrust na yan,” Sueno said.
Assistant Secretary Elmer Distor (3rd from left) and Atty.
Jobert Pahilga (4th from left) left a ray of hope to protesting
farmers that the issues raised by the latter in a dialogue held
early this month at the Palo chancery in Leyte will be resolved
under the administration of Secretary Rafael “Ka Paeng” Mariano.
The occasion was also attended by (left-right) Provincial
Agrarian Reform Program Officer Renato Badilla and Regional
Director Sheila Enciso. (Jose Alsmith L. Soria)
excited on first harvest
By JOSE ALSMITH L. SORIA
September 22, 2016
TACLOBAN CITY – After
16 years of waiting, members of the Bugho Farmers Association (BFA) in
Ormoc City are now excited for their first harvest come first week of
Rosenda Apay, chairperson of the BFA, happily announced this as she
thanked officials of the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) during a
dialogue held at the Palo chancery early this month.
Apay, 56, thanked DAR that they were finally installed in June this
year to their awarded lots in Barangay Matca-a under the Comprehensive
Agrarian Reform Program (CARP) after 16 years of struggle.
Immediately after their installation, the said farmers cultivated the
ricefield and are now expecting their first harvest early next month.
The installation of the BFA was delayed by a legal battle as the Fran
Farm Workers Association (FFWA) questioned in court the selection of
the former as agrarian reform beneficiaries (ARBs).
It was only recently that the issue was settled amicably when BFA
offered 21 of the 46 hectares to the rival group.
At present, whatever differences between the two rival groups are now
just but things of the past.
Meanwhile, Regional Director Sheila Enciso directed Assistant Regional
Director for Program Beneficiaries Development Ismael Aya-ay to
coordinate with the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) to extend
the supply of water to these areas.
Enciso also shared the credit on the BFA’s successful installation
with the Philippine National Police, Commission on human Rights and
the non-government organization RIGHTS Network for the collective
Others present during the said dialogue were Assistant Secretary Elmer
Distor and Atty. Jobert Pahilga from central office who promised DAR’s
full support to the farmers.
groups push DENR Sec. Gina Lopez to halt coal projects!
By Philippine Movement for
September 20, 2016
QUEZON CITY – An
array of people’s organizations, climate justice groups, and members
of coal affected communities marched across Quezon City Circle to the
Department of the Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) on Monday,
mobilizing for the growing national campaign, “COAL IS NOT THE
ANSWER!” They met with DENR Secretary Gina Lopez who listened to their
demands to hall coal-fired power plants (CFPPs), coal mines, and coal
stockpiles that gravely affects the environment, and health and
livelihoods of people living near them.
Val de Guzman, Energy
Campaign Officer of the Philippine Movement for Climate Justice (PMCJ),
stated, “We have been asking the DENR for a moratorium on all coal
projects. Had the agency listened to our demand, issuance of
Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) to 4 big coal plants could
have prevented last year.” The DENR is also issuing ECCs to coal
mining and coal stockpiles. “We are here again to demand our freedom
from coal, which is a dirty source of energy that has been polluting
local communities and worsening the climate crisis.” added Derec Cabe
from Nuclear Free Bataan Movement which also assists communities in
Bataan in their fight against coal.
The Philippines is heavily
dependent on the use of coal to produce energy when in fact the
country is extremely rich in sources of clean, safe, and renewable
energy like solar, wind and hydro power. The preference of the use of
fossil fuels over renewable energy is the primary reason why coal
projects continue to thrive in the county but at the cost of people’s
Semirara, for example, has
experienced the toxic contamination of its water resources and
mangrove forests as well as deaths of mining workers in the
Philippines’ largest coal mine located there, while Tondo residents
have suffered from severe air pollution and increasing skin and lung
diseases ever since Rock Energy International Corporation began
operating a coal stockpile in the area beginning in 2014. Meanwhile,
Verde Island Passage – the strait between Luzon and Mindoro islands
which has been dubbed the “center of the center of the world’s marine
biodiversity” – is facing alarming threats to its extraordinary
diversity of sea life once the JG Summit’s 600 MW coal power plants
starts to operate in Batangas City.
The groups emphasize the
role of coal in the current global climate crisis. It was agreed upon
at the climate negotiations in Paris that the international community
must limit the Earth’s global average temperature increase to
1.5-degrees Celsius. Gerry Arances, Executive Diretor of the Center
for Energy, Ecology, & Development (CEED) stated that “to achieve this
target, all the remaining coal underground should be left untouched
and no more coal power plants must be allowed to operate. We are
already beyond ‘safe’ limits and this will severely compound and
exacerbate impacts of vulnerable countries like the Philippines.”
Meanwhile, the Energy
Regulatory Commission (ERC) has suspended the processing of
applications for power supply agreements (PSA) which do not
environmental compliance certificates (ECC) from the Department of
Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
The groups have also sought
a meeting with Department of Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi, however
the department has not replied despite the several requests asked.
Divino Rey Pabayo Jr., Chief of Staff, read the message of the
Office of the Presidential Adviser for Peace Process during the
2016 National Peace Consciousness Month Celebration at 8ID
Openiano Field on September 19, 2016.
Peace Month 2016
By DPAO, 8ID PA
September 20, 2016
CAMP LUKBAN, Catbalogan
City – The 8th Infantry (Stormtroopers) Division, Philippine Army,
celebrates the National Peace Consciousness Month 2016, during the
Monday Flag Raising Ceremony at 8ID, Openiano Field on September 19,
Proclamation No. 675
declares the month of September of each year as National Peace
Consciousness Month. This year’s theme, “Tayo ang Pagbabago, Tayo ang
Kapayapaan!”, centers on “us”- tayo realizing our roles in pushing for
change and peace.
The activity was
participated by the officers, Enlisted Personnel and Civilian
Employees of the Command. The celebration started with a prayer for
peace by Capt. John O Geronimo, Division Chaplain, followed by the
reading of the message from the Office of the Presidential Adviser for
Peace Process by Colonel Divino Rey C Pabayo Jr, Chief of Staff, 8ID.
During the ceremony, Colonel
Pabayo quoted and emphasized the message from the OPAPP, “The
administration of President Duterte has already walked the extra mile
to achieve peace. His intention to permanently end the armed conflicts
requires the support and participation of the stakeholders. Now is our
time to own the process our ownership of the peace process begets
durable peace agreements. Working for peace is always a joint effort
between our government and our people. Our peace and development
roadmap directs us to a shared peace and prosperity”.
“As we celebrate the
National Peace Consciousness Month, we call on every Filipino to
support and participate in building a peaceful and progressive
country. May we always allow unity to triumph over diversity;
understanding and respect despite disagreements; and justice for all
those who have been wronged. We invite you to walk the extra mile with
us for peace. May we always be instruments of peace and agents for
positive change wherever we are and in whatever we do, not only for
this month, but also for the days and years ahead” unquote.
This year’s celebration is a
hopeful reminder that lasting peace is possible, especially if we all
contribute towards its attainment, as it aims to provide an avenue for
stakeholders to envision a peaceful society and assess what these
stakeholders can contribute in ensuring the realization of a just and
lasting peace,” Col. Pabayo added.
DTI cites best
innovative Filipino SME in the ASEAN Business Awards 2016
September 20, 2016
MAKATI CITY – The
Department of Trade and Industry (DTI-IPG) Undersecretary for Industry
Promotion Group Nora K. Terrado cited Zeenoh, Inc., an entertainment
software company that specializes on Internet of Things, video games,
animation and other software applications as it received the Best
Innovative SME Award in the ASEAN Business Awards 2016 held in
Vientiane, Laos last September 5, 2016.
“We are happy to know that
many of our local SMEs are being recognized by our neighbors as we
urge them to continue to innovate and embark on available support
services of the government,” said DTI Industry Promotion Group
Undersecretary Nora K. Terrado.
Jhondie Abenaza, CEO and
founder of Zeenoh Inc., was a full time software engineer when he
decided to start his own business. He took the Department of Trade and
Industry’s free business course in 2007 which prepared him with the
basics of setting up his own enterprise as a sole proprietor. A year
later, Zeenoh was founded on September 10, 2008 as a pioneering game
development company in the country.
Zeenoh started as an
outsourcing partner for top video game studios from Japan, Korea and
USA. As an end-to-end service provider for developing video games, it
evolved into developing its own original content (Intellectual
Property). The company started with mobile, web, PC, console and is
now developing virtual reality applications. Zeenoh's notable games
developed are Patintero Playtime, released for mobile in 2010 and
Nightfall: Escape, the first globally known full-3D game locally owned
Abenaza encourages dreamers
like him to take advantage of the entrepreneurship resources provided
by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), and looks forward to
the collaborative opportunities presented by the recently established
QBO Innovation Hub.
Terrado emphasized its
support to local entrepreneurs and innovators as it prepares programs
and services for the Startup Ecosystem Development Plan (SEDP). “We
want our MSMEs, particularly those in the startup sector, to continue
to venture with their creative solutions and innovative products and
services as we further our strategies in penetrating the global
digital economy,” added Terrado. SEDP is expected to help enhance the
climate for startup businesses, increase the success rate of Filipino
innovative enterprises in introducing their products and services in
the local and international markets.
As part of the DTI’s bold
initiatives in supporting innovative enterprises in the country, QBO
Innovation Hub was launched last August 8 in partnership with
Ideaspace Foundation where support services are offered for
innovators, explorers, investors, academic institutions, start-up
mentors and enablers as well as a broad spectrum of partners and
stakeholders from both public and private sectors. Located at the DTI
International Building in Makati City, the hub aims to encourage more
startups and innovation entrepreneurs in the country.
Recently, the Philippines
improved 9 notches in the 2016’s Global Innovation Index, ranking as
the 74th most innovative country among 128 surveyed in a report
released by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO),
Cornell University and INSEAD.