Pursuant to Administrative Order No. 498, series of 2019 issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Labatt Ligutom will temporarily replace NMP’s incumbent DED, Ms. Mayla N. Macadawan, who is on approved study leave in Malta.
“Meet-and-Greet” conducted this morning, NMP Executive Director Joel
B. Maglunsod expressed his confidence that Labatt Ligutom would be
of great help in steering the Agency in pursuit to the delivery of
its mandates and functions. Likewise, Labatt Ligutom in his message
expressed his warm acceptance as the newly designated OIC DED of NMP.
“I am happy to be assigned
here. Training is not very new to me because teaching in academic
institutions is part of my advocacies. I believe that the learnings,
insights, experiences and practices of people should be shared to
others because theory that has no practice is dead, and practice
without theory has no direction. I am already old at the Department
but I have not lost my interest and idealism because I always
believe that we can always contribute something to any organization.
I believe in portability of the person, because when you are a
leader or a manager you can be assigned to any organization. You
don’t need to be a doctor in order to be a good hospital
administrator” said OIC DED Ligutom.
With his experience from
his previous assignments, OIC-DED Ligutom is confident that he will
be able to share ideas towards NMP’s commitment.
“I am looking forward to a
very good experience for the days or months that I will be with you.
I will always support the direction of the Department and I will
share all my learnings, insights, and experiences with you. To me, a
life that is not shared is a life that is not worth living”, he
OIC-DED Ligutom was
formerly assigned in the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in
Oman and Rome where he took care of the concerns of the Overseas
Filipino Workers (OFWs), looked for their work opportunities, and
prepared them for their reintegration to the country.
He is a Career Executive
Service Officer (CESO III) and preceding to his assignment as Labor
Attaché, he had been the Regional Director of DOLE Regional Office X
(Northern Mindanao), Regional Office XI (Davao City), Regional
Office IX (Zamboanga Peninsula), Regional Office Caraga Region, and
Regional Office VI (Western Visayas). He was also the Director of
the Bureau of Local Employment in 2008.
Save the Children
Philippines calls for humane, dignified treatment of children
November 26, 2019
MANILA – Every five
minutes, a child dies of violence across the world, according to
Save the Children’s Ending Violence in Childhood Report in 2017. The
report revealed a staggering 1.7 billion children who experience
violence in many forms and 80 per cent of the incidents happen at
Save the Children, a
global movement that advocates for children’s rights in 120
countries called for an end to all forms of violence against
In the Philippines, three
out of five children suffer one or two forms of violence at home and
often, parents, siblings and relatives are the perpetrators
according to the 2015 National Baseline Study on Violence against
Children (NBS-VAC) conducted by the Council for the Welfare of
Lawyer Alberto Muyot,
Chief Executive Officer of Save the Children Philippines said
violence takes place at home, in school, online platforms, in
communities and in armed conflict and in disasters.
“All children have a right
to a childhood without violence,” said Muyot. “Physical and
humiliating punishment violates a child’s physical integrity, human
dignity and equal protection of the law.”
Save the Children
Philippines reiterated the call for humane and dignified treatment
of children in time for the World Children’s Day celebration in
November and the 30th year of ratification of the Convention on the
Rights of the Child.
Muyot also lamented the
prevailing culture of violence in schools. He said the NBS-VAC of
CWC reveals that 3 out of 5 children experienced bullying. Of this
figure, 14.3 percent of children experienced physical violence in
school; 23 percent of children experienced psychological violence in
school; and 5.3 percent of children experienced sexual violence in
Carolina Francisco, Child
Protection Manager of Save the Children Philippines, said Positive
Discipline establishes open communication and nurturing relationship
between parents, carers and teachers and children.
“Corporal punishment have
devastating impact on children,” said Francisco, adding that “young
children who experience corporal punishment are left with feelings
of fear, shame, rage, revenge and hostility.”
Francisco was guest at the
weekly Tapatan in Aristocrat media forum on Monday where she
emphasized the importance of practice of Positive Discipline at
home, in schools and communities.
She also stressed that
children who identified themselves as members of LGBTQI and children
with disabilities are the most vulnerable to suffer from physical
and humiliating punishment.
Save the Children
Philippines partners with the Department of Education (DepEd), the
Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and local
communities to promote Positive Discipline to teachers and parents
to end violence against children.
The Philippines is the
31st country to ratify the United Nations Convention on the Rights
of the Child (UNCRC), a landmark legal document that highlights the
rights of every child to:
• life, survival and
• protection from
violence, abuse and neglect;
• education that enables
children to fulfil their potential;
• be raised by, or have a
relationship with, their parents; and
• express their opinions
and be listened to.
The convention, now on its
30th year of ratification tasks governments to adopt legislative,
social and educational measures to protect the child from all forms
of physical or mental violence, injury or abuse, neglect or
negligent treatment, maltreatment or exploitation, including sexual
abuse, while in the care of parents, legal guardians and person who
has the care of the child.
So far, there are 58
countries that have stepped up legislation to ban corporal
punishment on children in schools, at home and in communities.
Save the Children founder
Eglantyne Jebb wrote the Declaration of the Rights of the Child in
1923 and was adopted by the League of Nations, the forerunner of
United Nations. The document became the basis of the UN Convention
of the Rights of the Child.
DPWH completes 2
new school buildings
BON JOSEPH N. ASTILLA
November 25, 2019
CALBAYOG CITY – New
school buildings at Sta. Margarita National High School and Calbayog
National High School (CCNHS) are completed through the Department of
Public Works and Highways (DPWH) under 2018 Basic Education
Facilities Fund (Batch 3).
four-classroom school building at Sta. Margarita is being occupied
at the present by the grades 11 and 12. Before the realization of
the project, the school made use of their stage and TLE room as
makeshift classrooms for senior high students. As such, their
principal Gloria Begonte Tamidles is very thankful for the new
building because as she further added both previous venues are not
conducive for learning.
On the other hand, the
two-storey four-classroom school building at CCNHS is also being
commended by their principal, Dr. Calick Arrieta, for its very fast
implementation. It took about less than 3 months to complete. Dr.
Arrieta stated it’s a big help to the institution considering the
influx of students every year.
The DPWH, in partnership
with the Department of Education, is always on the look-out on how
to improve the educational facilities of every school. Towards this
end, the community can very much expect more projects to come.
NTF is a dangerous superbody that imposes de facto martial rule in PH – Karapatan
November 21, 2019
QUEZON CITY – Human
rights alliance Karapatan said, after President Rodrigo Duterte’s
recent joint command conference with the National Task Force to End
Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC), that the “NTF’s
militarist whole-of-nation approach to the armed conflict in the
country is nothing but a path that brings the nation into a black
hole of authoritarian rule.”
“The government is
well-aware that armed conflicts are rooted on the decades-long
injustices perpetrated by the State against Filipinos, including
those who seek for genuine societal reforms that address poverty and
countless forms of exploitation, yet it refuses to back down on
programs and policies such as the Rice Tariffication Law, its
Build-Build-Build program and TRAIN law that impact on the welfare
of the people. Through the NTF, the Duterte government uses a
counterinsurgency program that employs brutal forms of attacks
against communities and human rights defenders to pacify their
opposition to these anti-people programs. It continues to weaponize
the courts and the whole judiciary to go after critics. It continues
to militarize the civilian bureaucracy, including line agencies that
should deliver social services and local governments,” said Cristina
Palabay, Karapatan Secretary General.
The NTF, Karapatan said,
is a dangerous superbody that imposes de facto military rule in the
country. “Its logframes and indicators of success are measured
through a yardstick that disregards political rights and civil
liberties while ensuring the smooth implementation of government
programs and projects that benefit big business and corrupt actors
in power,” Palabay said.
Karapatan cited the smear
campaigns and legal offensives against government critics,
activists, development and humanitarian workers, the raids and
arrests of human rights defenders in Negros and Manila, and the
killings of farmers as among the by-products of the NTF’s campaigns.
Even local government
executives who champion the rights of their poor constituents are
not spared, Palabay said. This week, Interior and Local Government
Secretary Eduardo Año has called out Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto for
backing the arrested workers of Regent Foods Corporation and for
bailing them out from jail. The arrested workers are part of those
who went on strike last October 16, 2019 on the alleged physical and
verbal abuses, non-implementation of the collective bargaining
agreement, non-recognition of the new leadership within the union;
and alleged contractualization schemes by the Regent Foods
“The cries of the arrested
workers are valid and can be considered as a concrete example of how
ordinary Filipinos suffer from the injustices committed by the
powerful. However, Año and the NTF discourage the likes of the young
chief local executive Sotto from promoting a just and humane form of
political leadership and governance,” she said.
Karapatan also cited the
killings of two barangay chairpersons in Samar, barangay captains
Apolonio Lebico and Wilmar Calutan, by suspected military agents
this year, when they aided their constituents in filing complaints
against elements of the Armed Forces of the Philippines before the
Commission on Human Rights on alleged violations in their
“The actions of the NTF
and Año only prove that this government has engendered rights
violations. We reiterate our call to rescind Executive Order #70,
which has resulted to the creation of the NTF, and for the Duterte
administration to stop its attacks against the Filipino people,”
leading to Kawayan port in Biliran improved
November 18, 2019
NAVAL, Biliran –
The construction/ improvement of access road leading to seaport in
Kawayan town, Biliran Province has been completed by the Department
of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)- Biliran District Engineering
David P. Adongay Jr.,
District Engineer said that the damaged substandard local road was
replaced with a new concrete pavement to provide a smooth surface
and safe riding condition for the travelling public.
The project involves the
rehabilitation of damaged substandard local road in Kawayan town
proper with a width of 6.10 meters, a thickness of 0.23 m. and a
length of 0.70 lane km with construction of 742.0 meters covered
The P12.35M project under
contract with MB Ang Construction was completed on October 24, 2019.
According to Adongay, the
newly completed road project leading to seaport complements the
improvements done to Kawayan’s port.
The Biliran Provincial
Government and the Local Government Unit of Kawayan is already
making its move in expanding the Kawayan port for future roll-on
roll-off (Ro-Ro) port in the town.
Presently, the Naval port
is the only seaport that is in service of transporting goods,
commodities and passengers to and from Cebu.
The improvement of access
road leading to Kawayan port will be a big help in economic
development not only just in Kawayan town but also in the entire
headed by President Antonio Pueblos welcomed the officers of
NNC-Calabarzon headed by RNPC Carina Z. Santiago (center)
and contingent media-partner CNN-4A headed by its president
media-group partner CNN-4A visits Eastern Visayas for technical
exchange with HIMSoG-8
JACK C. GADAINGAN
November 17, 2019
TACLOBAN CITY –
Carina Z. Santiago, Regional Program Coordinator of National
Nutrition Council (NNC) Region-4A (Calabarzon) together with Lourdes
B. Orongon and Ezra Minette B. Lasin, Nutrition Officer III and
Nutrition Officer II respectively from the same region, headed a
contingent of 10 practicing media from Calabarzon calling their
group as the “Communicators’ Network for Nutrition in Region 4-A”
(CNN-4A) to a visit of Eastern Visayas Region for a Technical
Exchange with NNC-8 media-group partner Harmonized Initiatives of
Media for the Spread of Good Nutrition in Region 8 (HIMSoG-8) on
October 24-26, 2019.
The CNN-4A was headed by
its President Red C. Alano, Vice President (VP) for Print Antonio R.
Antazo Jr., VP for Broadcast Emil Jun B. Delos Santos, VP for Social
Media Kier Gideon Paolo Gapayao, Auditor Genielyn M. Tobias,
Chairman of the Board of Directors Janet G. Buelo, and members
Nanacy G. Quizon-Vidal, Maria Victoria A. Carino, Maricel Manza and
Mayrenel C. Manalo.
A contingent from HIMSoG-8
likewise headed by its President Antonio C. Pueblos, VP Jacob C.
Gadaingan, Broadcaster Cecelia P. Tibo, cable-TV broadcast providers
Evelyn Bacol, Nelson Braga, and Mathew Manuel, and News Editor
Albert Lesiguez, and two personnel from NNC-8 Novida B. Rico and
Clytie Sta. Cruz welcomed the visiting party during their arrival
5AM at Tacloban City Airport.
Of common goal, as both
media organizations are involved in the fight against hunger and
malnutrition and in promotion of good nutrition – with CNN-4A the
media-group partner of NNC-4A within its jurisdiction Calabarzon
area. Meanwhile HIMSOG-8 in partner with NNC-8 for the Eastern
Visayas Region. The two advocacy groups conducted their technical
rendezvous after a brief breakfast at the Leyte Park Hotel, here.
The Technical Exchange
consisted with presentations of each media-group’s accomplishments
and Sharing of Best Practices with both presidents doing the
power-point presentation reporting, Pueblos for HIMSoG-8 and Alano
HIMSoG-8 Treasurer Ray
Gaspay, publisher of Samar News.com and HIMSoG-8 member Sarwel M.
Meniano, chief of Philippine News Agency (PNA) Region 8 joined the
group for the technical exchange, and other activities.
In the afternoon, the
Calabarzon group was escorted by the Eastern Visayas group to an
Environmental Scanning to the Super Typhoon Yolanda Marker (Anibong
Shipwreck), the Mat Weavers and Products in Basey town, the newly
constructed Town Hall of Basey and Basey’s Oldest Church, the 2.16
kilometers long “San Juanico Bridge” connecting Samar and Leyte
Islands, and the newly upgraded MacArthur Park. The evening of the
first day (Oct. 24, 2019) featured a fellowship, loaded with more
bonding initiatives, exchanges of tokens, with good food and live
The following day NNC-4A
and CNN-4A continued with their more serious tasks like
“Communication Planning for CY 2020”: consisting of Workshop
Overview, Review of Print and Radio Placements and various IEC
Material, the Philippine Plan of Action 2017-2022, Review of
Calabarzon Communication Plan 2013-2015, and Actual Communication
For its last salvo, the
CNN-4A gave way to its 3rd Quarter Meeting, consisting of
review/approval of the highlight of the Previous Meeting, and other
President Antonio Pueblos makes the first presentation
on the Technical Exchange with CNN-4A by presenting
first the accomplishments of HIMSoG-8.
six soldiers who died at Borongan encounter
DPAO, 8ID PA
November 13, 2019
CAMP LUKBAN, Catbalogan
City, Samar – The 8th Infantry Division identified the six (6)
soldiers who paid ultimate sacrifice during an encounter with the
New People’s Army (NPA) Terrorists at Sitio Bangon, Brgy. Pinanag-an,
Borongan City, Eastern Samar in the late afternoon of November 11,
The troops were conducting
a military operation in response for the persistent reports from the
civilians about the presence of CNTs in the area. While the troops
were on their way to their rebels' lair which is also being used as
a bomb-making facility, they encountered the NPA terrorists who
employed several improvised anti-personnel mines.
The valiant soldiers who
sacrificed their lives against the NPA who used landmines as an
attack are: Sergeant Rex C Jadulco; Corporal Ronaldo O Go; Corporal
Limar L Banug; Private First Class Kent Loyd M Agullo; Private First
Class Junmar D Buranday; and Private Charlie P Del Rosario.
The National Democratic
Front (NDF) including the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP)
and the NPA are signatories, bans the use of landmines which they
have neglected, the Comprehensive Agreement on Respect for Human
Rights and International Humanitarian Law. In connection with the
“Ottawa Convention” or “Mine Ban Treaty” that seeks to end the use
of Anti-personnel Landmines (APLs) worldwide to end suffering and
Remains of the soldiers
together with the deceased NPA rebel were immediately airlifted to
Camp Vicente Lukban, Catbalogan City and were transported to a
funeral home in Catbalogan for post mortem and proper funeral
services while 20 wounded soldiers are still in the hospital at
stable condition and undergoing treatment.
After the funeral
services, the remains will be transferred to the 8ID headquarters.
The 8ID gave the assurance
that immediate assistance be accorded to the bereaved families.