LWUA to construct
P66-M water system in Calico-an Island Resort
By RICKY J. BAUTISTA
GUIUAN, Eastern Samar – After accomplishing the first-ever modern waterworks system here,
the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) is now waiting for the
release of some P66 million for the construction of a potable water
supply in Calico-an Island Resort here.
LWUA acting deputy
administrator and Guiuan Water District (GWD) interim board chairman
Daniel I. Landingin said the release of said multi-million peso grant,
as promised by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in her visit to the
resort last year, is expected to be granted any moment now.
According to Landingin,
a group of private investors headed by certain Atty. Manuel Go of the
Aboitiz Group of Companies is also now reportedly preparing to erect
some tourism infrastructures including the proposed construction of a
golf course, luxurious hotel accommodation with 400 rooms, in time for
the creation of a water source in the area.
Last May 2006, Mrs.
Arroyo promised the local residents and the tourists that she will
allocate some funds for the said project and likewise directed the
LWUA to finalize and submit the program of work to her office
Last October 11, 2006,
the proposed project of work for the P66-M waterworks project was
received by Mrs. Arroyo through former Presidential Management Staff
Secretary Arthur Yap with endorsement coming from Department of
Tourism Secretary Ace Durano and Guiuan Mayor Annaliza-Gonzales-Kwan.
In his letter, LWUA
Administrator Lorenzo H. Jamora reported to the president that after
their successful completion of P20 million worth of water system
facility in Guiuan town, that is now “providing safe water to the
hundred of residents in said town,” they are now ready to start this
new project, after the release of said grant.
Meanwhile, the island
of Calico-an resort which is located in the southernmost of Guiuan,
Eastern, Samar is now being develop by the government as next Boracay –
considered by many as the World’s greatest beach resort.
is truly a must see to all nature lovers, adventurous travelers, deep
sea fishermen and the paradise for intrepid surfers worldwide,”
Administrator Jamora disclosed.
coffee table book launched
By NINFA B. QUIRANTE (PIA
Catbaloganons took a peek to a tarpaulin book cover picture of
O, Catbalogan! displayed outside
Tia Anita’s along San Roque St., downtown Catbalogan during its Book
Launching Nov. 18.
CATBALOGAN, Samar –
"O, Catbalogan!" a coffee table book was launched this weekend at Tia
Anita’s residence in San Roque corner Mabini Avenue, Catbalogan, Samar
with no less than Solicitor-General Eddie Nachura in attendance.
Nachura, of real
Catbalogan blood endorses the book in its foreword. He also delivered
a brief speech to extol the artistry and history imbedded in the book.
Nachura who is also
the President of the Katbalaoganon Association in Metro Manila said
that it is his hope that his kind would find in the book a mirror of
their own identity and rekindle in them a genuine interest in the
place of their birth.
The book written by
Charo Cabardo and Rene Nachura is a dream come true for Catbaloganons
who have waited all these years for a book that will encompass all
that there is of Catbalogan.
The book tells of the
beginnings of Catbalogan, wars and heroes, the town of Catbalogan,
then and now. It also includes Catbalogan’s religion, culture,
education, cuisine and the Catbaloganons in other parts of the country
and all over the world.
The book touches
history of the early Katbalaugan (evolving to Catbalogan),
and settlers said to have migrated from Buad (now Zumarraga). The book
mentioned about these fishermen to be just resting on the shore line
with balaug (a shrub that thrived in its seashore). The settlers then
thought of just settling in Catbalogan.
One Professor Cesar
Torres, who is now based in
summed up the book’s content in a sentence saying, "It is a food for
the soul, food and intellect, a tribute to all Samarnons, past,
present and future."
The 145-page hard
bound book is easily a popular among those who attended the launch
specifically, the middle aged populace, like Eddie, Charo, David,
Sonny, Ren, Deng, Chi, mentioned by Torres whom he believes, have much
to relate with in the pages of the treasured book. Capping the
145-page book is a poem by Estrella Maqueda which laments the
environmental destruction of
Catbalogan VIPs who
graced the book launching included Mayor Tekwa Uy. Former Bishop Max
Cruz and a host of young media practitioners who also have joined
Cabardo and Nachura in making the book as real as Catbalogan!
AFP Dared: Open Fort
Magsaysay and other camps to families of desaparecidos,
November 23, 2006
Philippines – Families of victims of enforced disappearance and
their lawyer today dared the Armed Forces of the Philippines to prove
they are not holding people incomunicado by opening military camps to
searching families. “Let an independent, investigative body, with
representatives of all victims, and members of international human
rights bodies be convened and impanelled. Along with Oscar Leuterio,
let them be allowed to go to Fort Magsaysay and all other military
camps,” said Lawyer Rex Fernandez, counsel for the families of
Desaparecidos. “We demand that these camps be searched with a
Portajada, spokesperson of the Families of Desaparecidos for Justice (DESAPARECIDOS)
cited that two missing youths in Pampanga were seen at the
headquarters of the 69th Infantry Battalion in San Jose Matulid
village, in Mexico, Pampanga.
Nothern Luzon Command
(Nolcom) chief Lt. Gen. Bonifacio Ramos said in a newspaper interview
that the testimony of former security guard Oscar Leuterio was a lie.
Leuterio is the latest witness in the petition for habeas corpus for
missing UP students Sherlyn Cadapan and Karen Empeño, whom he saw at a
safehouse inside Fort Magsaysay.
In his sworn statement
he said he was robbed April 17 in Doña Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan by
soldiers and CAFGU, abducted and held incomunicado for five months at
the 7th Infantry Division based in
in Nueva Ecija.
In his written
statement, Leuterio identified then still active MajGen. Jovito
Palparan as the one called “Lolo” (Grandfather) by soldiers, who told
him we would live if he cooperated with them. Leuterio was released by
the military on September 14 after he promised to work with them.
Leuterio said that he
knew he was brought to
because that was where he came out when he was released on September.
Leuterio said he was told that it was MajGen. Juanito Gomez, chief of
the 7th ID who drove the vehicle from Fort Magsaysay to Bulacan where
he was dropped off.
Leuterio filed charges
against Palparan, Gomez who replaced Palparan as commanding officer of
the 7th Infantry Division, Lt. Noel Clement of the 703rd Infantry
Brigade, 2Lt Ferdinand Basas, and several others identified as Alvin
Pastrana, Boy Muslim, Bitoy, and Aladin who were among those who
abducted and tortured him.
The criminal charges
against the military men were filed at the Ombudsman while civil
charges were filed at the Quezon City Regional Trial Court. The
charges included warrantless arrest, arbitrary detention, torture,
physical injuries, and involuntary servitude.
Fernandez said that at
the Court of Appeals hearing on November 16, Leuterio was placed under
cross examination. “But his testimony was never impuned, his
credibility stood. He was never broken.” He said Leuterio’s testimony
was strong, unlike that of Palparan who testified earlier but “always
took cover in the guise of classified information.” Palparan had
denied having the two UP students in custody.
Portajada said that
Leuterio’s account proves that the military men are lying under oath
as they claimed that Cadapan and Empeño were not in their custody.
She said this also proves that the state security forces are the
perpetrators of abductions of the more than 180 victims of enforced
“Not only Fort
Magsaysay, Camp Tecson and other military camps, but also safehouses
and torture houses should be opened so that the disappeared will be
surfaced,” Portajada said.
Portajada said the
families of missing youths Romulos Robiños, 24 and Ryan Supan, 20 were
the latest to file petitions for writ of habeas corpus at the Supreme
Court. The two were abducted by armed men believed to be soldiers
past midnight on November 17 from their respective homes in
and San Fernando City.
Portajada said that
armed men believed to be soldiers had earlier been looking for Robiños’
sister, Leni, a volunteer staff of the peasant group Aguman Dareng
Robiños’s wife Jesusa,
25, said she saw one of her husband’s abductors at the 69th Infantry
Battalion in San Jose Matulid, Mexico where they went to look for
Romulos. An official at the headquarters had told them that the two
were not in their custody.
The Robiños and Supan
families will today file a complaint at the Commission on Human Rights
and the Joint Secretariat of the Joint Monitoring Committee for the
Comprehensive Agreement on the Respect for Human Rights and
International Humanitarian Law.
Portajada said that
they will also assist the two families to seek the help of the
International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
receives recognition from Phil Hospital Association
By Philippine Information Agency (PIA 8)
Leyte governor Icot Petilla
TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte
– Leyte Governor Carlos Jericho Petilla will receive an award during
the 57th Convention of the Philippine Hospital Association at the
Manila Hotel on Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 6:00 o’clock in the
Governor Petilla who
is on his first term as the governor of the province of Leyte has done
so much in terms of innovative health programs and services.
Foremost among his
innovations is turning the district hospital in Baybay, Leyte into a
self-sustaining district hospital which is a far cry for it has always
been subsidized by the provincial government in the past.
Today’s realities make
it doubly difficult for hospitals to survive especially with the
increasing cost of inputs and resources required to maintain quality
services. Nonetheless, by collaborating with the relevant private
sector group, Governor Petilla has been able to mobilize people,
improve the facilities and services through networking activities.
Governor Petilla used
participatory governance in this endeavor by enlisting the help of
Sister Eloisa David, the administrator of the
in order to help look into the problems of the district hospitals so
that their services will be improved.
Instead of returning
the district hospital to the Department of Health as other weaker
governors do, Governor Petilla turned a non performing asset of
government into a money-making venture. He did this not only by
improving the facilities but also by patiently looking into the value
formation of the hospital staff.
After Baybay District
Hospital, Governor Petilla also improved the services of the
the Abuyog District Hospital and the Ormoc City Hospital.
Satisfied with his
handiwork, Governor Petilla turned his eyes on the mentally deranged
who are loitering in the City for the absence of any facility which
will accommodate them.
Governor Petilla, in
partnership with the private sector again, turned the Babatngon
District Hospital into the Asilo de
where the mentally deranged are housed and treated until they are able
to return to the normal society.
personally joins the taskforce which goes around the City looking for
the mentally ill. Priority is given to the female mentally deranged
because “they are more exposed to danger.”
Governor Petilla does
not allow the lack of needed funds to deter him from doing what he
feels is urgent like that of the Asilo de
San Benito. In order to source for fund, Governor Petilla himself
sang in a fund-raising concert together with musically gifted priests.
Luckily, Governor Petilla is indeed a consummate singer.
In fact, another
fund-raising concert is in the offing at the LAC Center on November
30, with no less than Sarah Geronimo, who sang the National Anthem in
the just concluded Pacquiao-Morales bout in Las Vegas and Mark
Bautista who together with Ms. Geronimo had a successful concert in
the United States.
As the primary
organization that confers recognition and continuous support to public
and private hospitals in the country, the Philippine Hospital
Association (PHA), led by its president, Dr. Tiburcio Macias, has
played an important role in ensuring access to tertiary health care
among the public. The PHA has collaborated closely with the concerned
public sector agencies, from the Department of Health to the Social
Security System and the Government Service Insurance System, and
Philhealth, so that ordinary Filipinos are not deprived of their right
to inexpensive and quality health care.
Police sees extortion
behind the Smart relay station raid
By ELI C. DALUMPINES (PIA
CATBALOGAN, Samar –
Police authorities here saw extortion as the possible reason behind
the raid of the Smart Telecommunication’s relay station in a
mountainous portion of Brgy. San Andres, Catbalogan town Sunday
Police Station Chief Insp. Carlos G. Vencio, in an interview, said
cases like bombing or raid of infrastructure conducted by the New
People’s Army (NPA) usually boil down to non-payment of revolutionary
The police officer did
not roll out other possibilities though since the police are still
conducting a thorough investigation to determine what the reasons
behind the Smart infrastructure raid really are.
personnel Silverio Mabini, 43 years old and a resident of Sitio Sto.
Niño, Brgy. San Andres, reported before the police that a group of
about 15 armed men led by Ador Pajares came to the relay station,
situated some three kilometers northeast from the town proper, at
around 3:30 p.m. on Sunday and immediately sprayed them with bullets.
No casualty has been
reported from the attack, however, except for Mabini’s son, Rodel, 27
years old and also security personnel of the said firm, who suffered
minor injuries after an NPA bullet hit his arm. Mabini said he and his
son escaped towards Brgy. Mangihay when they were fired upon by the
Mabini, who was the
security guard-on-duty when the incident happened, claimed they did
not received warnings from the group before the raid.
To recall, it was the
same structure that the NPA burned down almost five years ago
reportedly for the telecommunication firm’s failure to pay
Pajares was identified
as the leader of the Team 1 SK Bago of the CPP-NPA’s Central
Front-Samar 1 operating in the areas of Catbalogan and San Jorge
The police have yet to
determine the extent of damage to the Smart infrastructure resulting
from the attack. “Agaw armas” was also considered as one of the
possible reasons behind the raid.