Gunmen killed noted
anti-communist leader in Catbalogan
By ELI C. DALUMPINES (PIA 8)
CATBALOGAN, Samar –
A noted anti-Communist leader fell down before an assassin’s bullet
early last night at newly-renovated Capitol Park here at Samar’s
Augusto S. Daclitan,
55 years old and a resident of Brgy. Canlapwas, this town, died on the
spot after two unidentified suspects shot him in the head and at the
back of his body at about
6:30 p.m. last night (January 17).
Police report said
Daclitan allegedly received calls from someone who wanted to meet him
at the Capitol Park for some official business which prompted him to
go to meet the man.
But when he was at the
park one of the suspects immediately shot him in the head which caused
him to fall after which a second shot was aimed at the back of his
body that caused his spontaneous death.
The two unidentified
suspects fled to opposite directions right after the incident to elude
arrest but witnesses said the gun used by the assailants was handed to
a nearby bystander. The police recovered two empty shells of cal. 45
pistol at the crime scene.
Daclitan is the
Operations Officer of the anti-Communist group
for Nationalism and Democracy (ANAD) that has been instrumental in
assisting the government in its anti-insurgency campaign in the
successfully convinced the leaders of the more than 10 youth gangs
that had been sowing violence here at the capital town and unite them
into a single youth group, that is now called the United Youth of
Catbalogan, with the help of the local police.
Chief PInsp. Carlos G. Vencio, in an interview, claimed Daclitan may
have been a victim of the Communist New People’s Army (NPA) that has
reportedly fielded two sparrow teams here at the capital town since
December of last year to assassinate anti-revolutionaries.
Vencio said the manner
of killing the anti-communist leader, which was done in a crowded
park, was a typical example of the insurgents’ strategy to sow public
fear and use it as a propaganda tool.
The province’s name is
Samar, not Western Samar
By Philippine Information Agency (PIA 8)
January 17, 2007
TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte
– “The name of my province is
Western Samar.” Thus, wrote Congressman Catalino V. Figueroa of the
2nd District of Samar, to the Philippine Information Agency.
made the clarification in reaction to some printed documents in some
government offices bearing the name
He said that the name
of the province as Samar is embodied in Republic Act 5650 passed
during the 6th Congress, the 27th day of January 1969 and signed by
then Speaker of the House of Representatives Jose B. Laurel, Jr. and
then Senate President Gil J. Puyat.
Republic Act 5650 is
an act changing the name of the
requested the Philippine Information Agency to inform the public and
the government offices so that they can make the necessary corrections
as to the name of the Province.
The people of Samar
are in need of a true identity as regards the real name of their
province, Congressman Figueroa noted.
He added that he will
be writing other national government offices and government owned and
controlled corporations so that they too will be properly informed.
Many names (Samal,
Ibabao, Tandaya) were given to
prior to the coming of the Spaniards in 1596. The name
Samar was derived from the local dialect “samad”, meaning wound or
cut, which aptly describes the rough physical features of the island
that is rugged and deeply dissected by streams.
During the early days
of Spanish occupation, Samar was under the jurisdiction of Cebu. In
1735, Samar and Leyte were united into one province with Carigara,
Leyte as the capital town and again Samar became a separate province
The province of Samar
comprised the whole Samar Island before the approval of Republic Act
4221 on June 19, 1965 which divided the island into three provinces:
Northern Samar, with Catarman as capital; Eastern Samar, with Borongan
as capital; and Western Samar (officially known as Samar) with
Catbalogan as capital. It is composed of twenty five (25)
municipalities and one city (Calbayog City). It has a total of nine
hundred fifty two (952) barangays.
In 1969, through
Republic Act 5650, the province’s name was changed to
Samar instead of
Wife of suspected NPA
seeks treatment from army doctors
By NINFA B. QUIRANTE (PIA
January 16, 2007
CATBALOGAN, Samar – Jaquilyn Velasco, 21, a mother of a four year-old son and wife of a
suspected NPA sought the help of media practitioner Lady Camelot for
her various illness.
It was lady reporter
Lady Camelot who sought the help of the officers in 8th Infantry Division how Jaqui
could be helped.
The patient is now
confined at the Camp Lukban General Hospital where she is treated with
PTB, skin tuberculosis and kwashiorkor, an extreme protein deficiency.
According to her
doctor, Major Jorge Benavidez, Jaquilyn was very ill, weighing only
like a child, when she was brought to the camp hospital, but the
week-long treatment courtesy of San Jose de Buan Mayor Artemio Rebato,
Dr. Yong and the 8th ID has yielded positive results, so far.
Benavidez says if Jaqui will just be supported with proper food,
medicines and vitamins and ample rest, she has a 90% of recovery and
leading a normal life.
Although Jaqui does
not admit her husband is an NPA, she is grateful to the army doctors
for their help. On the day of the interview, 8th ID Information
Officer Jose Mario Chico was laden with a tray of eggs reportedly for
Jaqui said that she is
aware of the NPA’s presence in her native town of San Jose de Buan but
she said, her family has distanced themselves from the movement. She
has known of the difficulties ‘they’ experience ‘uphill’. She said she
has a friend there who has even returned to their barangay to live a
normal life. She will never be convinced, she said, to join the NPA’s.
1st Lt. Chico was not
surprised when he learned that Jaqui does not believe her husband is a
member of the NPA.
“Even when caught
red-handed, they still would not admit guilt, the lanky officer
“But to show them how
we value life and their welfare, we welcomed her in the camp hospital
and intend to keep her until she is strong enough to return to her
child,” Chico offered.
Chico also added that
he did not just decide on keeping the sick woman in their care. “I
consulted with Commanding General Rodrigo Maclang who agreed to keep
and treat the sick woman.”
As regards her
husband, Jaqui just kept quiet and refused to answer questions
regarding the fate of her husband.
Presently, Jaqui has
no other plans but to obey the doctor’s orders for she only has her
four-year old child to think of and inspire her to keep herself
Kins of fire victim
assails NBI’s alleged bias in its investigation
By ROMMEL L. RUTOR
– Despite the assurance of Congressman Catalino Figueroa
to help the family of Candice Janine Paulin, the minor which was found
dead inside the burned Lester Lace Grocery Store, via an in-dept
investigation thru the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Mary
Jean Paulin, the mother, accused the NBI here of partial and biased
treatment of her daughter’s case.
In a signed statement
of Mrs. Paulin obtained by this writer, it was learned that Janine’s
family went to the NBI office on November 20, 2006 to check on the
status of the NBI investigation over their daughter’s death.
“But we were
disappointed and dismayed because they (NBI) treated us badly and
without respect, they told us that our daughter was a thief and was
looting in the said grocery store during the fire incident”, she
However, the NBI
allegedly wasn’t able to come up with a proof that Janine was inside
the burning store because of thievery, and that she was trapped inside
the burning grocery store causing her death.
In the same
circumstance, Dr. Felino C. Gualdrapa of the Samar Provincial Hospital
(SPH) here likewise implied that the NBI was allegedly misleading him
during the conduct of the autopsy of the victim’s cadaver on November
In his signed
statement, Dr. Gualdrapa narrated that he received a note coming from
Mayor Tekwa Uy of Catbalogan, requesting that an autopsy be made on
Janine’s body, but he was hesitant because he was the on-duty
physician at that time in the SPH.
But Dr. Gualdrapa
reconsidered when a certain Wakie Cui called him up and told they will
assist in the autopsy examination together with Dr.Teddy Yboa of the
NBI Manila. The autopsy was conducted inside the Samar Memorial Chapel
“Even at the start, I
already noticed that Dr. Yboa of the NBI was already misleading me in
evaluating the cadaver, I never liked it but to avoid conflict and
confrontation I remained silent out of professional courtesy”, Dr.
Dr. Gualdrapa informed
that the NBI medico-legal allegedly concentrated only on the degree of
burns and did not evaluate the obvious deformities particularly on the
face where according to Dr. Gualdrapa, the bridge was deformed
possibly caused by a mechanical pressing of the nose of the victim to
the point that no air can pass into the lungs.
In the same instance,
Dr. Yboa also allegedly tried to mislead him in describing the gastric
contents of the cadaver to light brown fluid to show that the victim
inhaled smoke, but Dr. Gualdrapa insisted that the gastric fluid found
was light greenish in color manifesting that no carbon was inhaled by
“Another point I
cannot agree on was that Dr. Yboa insisted that the cadaver was still
a virgin, and that she only had notches and not lacerated wounds, but
when I examined the cadaver, she had hymenal lacerated wounds already
healed, meaning the victim was no longer a virgin”, Dr. Gualdrapa
Not contented by the
NBI autopsy and bothered by his conscience, Dr. Gualdrapa returned for
a second autopsy of the cadaver, and this time without the NBI and
yielded with a concrete report.
“In my second autopsy,
I did confirm that the body was already dead when she burned, and I
issued a certification to that effect because the cause of death was
asphyxiation by suffocation or choking to stop passage of air from the
nose or mouth. If she died because of the fire, her cause of death
should have been carbon monoxide poisoning, which is impossible
because the autopsy revealed that there were no traces of carbon in
her lungs”, Dr. Gualdrapa disposed.
He added that Janine
was already dead for not less than three hours before she was burned.
On the other hand, the
Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) here led by P/Insp.
Fernando Ferrer likewise told in his signed statement that the theory
of thievery by the NBI as being alleged by the parents of the victim
was not supported by evidence.
Ferrer also noted that
the autopsy report of Dr. Yboa of the NBI contained a brief summary
only and indicated no physical injuries despite allegedly of several
apparent physical injuries on the cadaver.
“That is why I
requested for a re-autopsy of the body, this time with the PNP crime
laboratory, which was conducted by Dr. Angel Cordero”, Ferrer told.
“Through my experience
as an investigator, I noticed some details will lead us to conclude
that a foul play was evident, we are not buying the theory of thievery
here because it of human nature that a child in distress trapped
inside a burning establishment will become hysterical, will knock on
the doors and will shout for help as loud as she can. But in this
case, the body of the victim when found as shown in pictures, was laid
down as if she was relaxed and was not even bothered by the fire,
which is contrary to the theory of self-preservation”, he concluded.
BILECO officially ends
“Task Force Seniang” operations in Biliran
By FLOR JACKSON (PIA Biliran)
NAVAL, Biliran – Biliran
Electric Cooperative (Bileco) officially ended its rehabilitation and
restoration activities dubbed “Task Force Seniang” last January 2,
2007 after the province of Biliran was hit by Typhoon Seniang in
December 9 last year.
This was bared by Mr.
Marlon Roa, Manager of Bileco who said that the operation which was
given a timetable of one month since it started in December 11, 2006
was completed earlier by ten days than its original schedule of
completion which was January 11, 2007.
He added that the
early completion of the restoration work was made possible through the
bayanihan efforts of other electric cooperatives that came
over to Biliran province like the Southern Leyte Electric Cooperative
(SOLECO), Leyeco IV in Hilongos, Leyte, Leyeco V in Ormoc City and the
Don Orestes Romualdez Electric Cooperative (DORELCO) in Tolosa, Leyte
who immediately responded to Bileco’s call for assistance saying that
the extent of the damage to the electrical posts and power lines in
the province of Biliran cannot be done the soonest if Bileco had to
rely on their own technical experts and linemen.
Furthermore, he said
that he had so much to thank to the four electric cooperatives who
assisted Bileco in the restoration work conducted provincewide because
aside from the manpower, these cooperatives likewise offered their
major equipment to include the two boom trucks to hasten the
completion of the repair and restoration jobs.
He informed PIA that
with the assistance extended by the four cooperatives, Bileco spent an
amount only for the fuel of the service equipment that were brought in
by the neighboring electric cooperatives that assisted them.
Manager Roa cited the
advantage of electric companies being organizesd into cooperatives
saying that in disasters like the devastating typhoon Seniang,
restoration activities are made lighter, easier and faster because the
electric cooperatives are always ready to extend a helping hand, full
support and assistance to any of their sister cooperatives so as not
to deprive the member-consumers of the efficient service of the
He said that when
Biliran province was badly hit by typhoon Seniang in December 9 last
year, some 40% - 45% of the electrical wirings, gadgets and electrical
posts were blown down and damaged placing the damage at P10.1 million.