Chiz: MILF should
come clean on weapons-making facility
By Office of Senator Chiz
June 22, 2015
PASAY CITY – Senator Chiz
Escudero is calling on the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to
come clean on its reported weapons manufacturing facility that
produces high-powered firearms and explosives.
Escudero said it would have
been a more credible confidence-building measure had the MILF
surrendered its weapons machinery instead of just a small portion of
its firearms collection during the so-called “ceremonial
decommissioning” of MILF weapons and combatants last week.
“The MILF should have first
surrendered their machinery that makes guns, bullets and bombs. It’s
useless to surrender guns when they can easily make new ones,”
He also said that it was
only fair to ask the MILF to explain how its forces were able to amass
firearms and ammunition, as well as their sources and suppliers, in
order to prove that they were really sincere in pursuing peace.
“As our partners in peace
supposedly, can they also tell us where and how they brought in their
arms and ammunition, and who and where did they buy these from and how
did they bring these in,” Escudero said.
Escudero also vowed to press
for the inclusion of the decommissioning process in the proposed
Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) after MILF chief negotiator Mohagher Iqbal
said the decommissioning will continue only if the BBL is passed.
“If indeed, as Iqbal says,
they won’t continue with the decommissioning without the BBL passage,
then I would insist on the inclusion of the decommissioning process in
the BBL,” Escudero stressed.
Escudero earlier said the
MILF’s precondition only underscored the need for the Senate to
scrutinize the BBL and include a timetable that will detail the entire
He said the details of the
decommissioning process must be explicitly provided in the BBL to
ensure that the MILF will no longer have the capability to perpetrate
acts of violence after surrendering its forces and put all its
firearms beyond use.
Last week, the MILF handed
over 75 firearms and 145 combatants in a symbolic turnover witnessed
by no less than President Benigno Aquino III.